Wondering how to get a PhD?
You are not alone.
The number of campus based and online PhD programs has been growing at a staggering rate. This gives those adults with professional and personal commitments a better opportunity to enroll in and excel in a PhD program. Knowing how to get a PhD is an important first step in deciding to enroll in a program.
How to Get a PhD
You must first decide what type of program you wish to take. PhD programs are a challenging undertaking. Online programs are just a rigorous as the traditional programs as well. However, the online programs do give students flexibility with the coursework portion of the program. Assignments are submitted online and there is no set time or day for lectures.
Walden University – Accelerated 8-Week Online Classes
Walden University offers accelerated classes: 8 week online classes.
The Walden University campus is located in Florida. Currently, Walden offers over a dozen online doctoral programs with over 100 specializations/concentrations available, giving you the opportunity to tailor your doctorate degree to suit your professional goals and interests.
- Doctor of Business Administration – DBA (10 concentrations)
- PhD in Management (14 concentrations)
- Doctor of Education – Ed.D. (6 concentrations)
- Education Specialist – Ed.S. (6 concentrations)
- PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision (6 concentrations)
- PhD in Education (12 concentrations)
- PhD in Health Services (11 concentrations)
- PhD in Human Services (17 concentrations)
- PhD in Psychology (7 concentrations)
- PhD in Public Health (3 concentrations)
- PhD in Public Policy and Administration (27 concentrations)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Capella University – 10-Week Online Classes
Capella University offers accelerated classes: 10 week online classes.
Many higher education faculty positions require a PhD, which can also prepare you for leadership, research, or consulting positions in a variety of fields. For students of business, the Doctor of Business Administration is also available. Career paths for people with DBAs include business leadership, consulting, and teaching positions.
Online Doctoral Programs are also available in a wide-range of fields including:
- PhD – Accounting
- PhD – Counselor Education and Supervision
- PhD – Criminal Justice
- PhD – Curriculum and Instruction
- PhD – Educational Psychology
- PhD – Emergency Management
- PhD – General Advanced Studies in Human Behavior
- PhD – Business
- PhD – Human Services
- PhD – Information Technology
- PhD – Organization and Management
- PhD – Psychology
- PhD – Health Care Administration
- PhD – Human Resource Management
- PhD – Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- PhD – Information Security
- PhD – Information Technology Management
- PhD – Information Technology Project Management
- PhD – Instructional Design for Online Learning
- PhD – IT Education
- PhD – K-12 Studies in Education
- PhD – Leadership
- PhD – Leadership for Higher Education
- PhD – Leadership in Educational Administration
- PhD – Management Education
- PhD – Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- PhD – Nursing Education
- PhD – Post-secondary and Adult Education
- PhD – Professional Studies in Education
- PhD – Project Management
- PhD – Public Safety Leadership
- PhD – Social and Community Services
- PhD – Special Education Leadership
- PhD – Training and Performance Improvement
- DBA – Business Intelligence
- DBA – Global Operations and Supply Chain Management
- DBA – Strategy and Innovation
- DHA – General Health Administration
- DHA – Health Care Leadership
- DHA – Health Policy and Advocacy
- DPA – General Public Administration
- DrPH – Epidemiology
- DrPH – Health Advocacy and Leadership
- DSW – General Social Work
- EdD – Educational Leadership and Management
- EdD – Reading and Literacy
- EdS – Curriculum and Instruction
- EdS – Leadership in Educational Administration
Check with some schools you are interested in to see their program offerings. Not all universities will offer the same programs, specifically some of the more specialized ones. Online universities will offer varied programs as well.
After you have decided on a few universities, be certain to check accreditation. Unfortunately, there are a few PhD scams currently on the market. A good rule of thumb is that if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Ensure that the program and university has been accredited by one of the six regional accreditation agencies. If you have questions, you can also contact the US Department of Education.
A PhD can open many doors in your current career. However, PhD programs will require that you have the self discipline and motivation to stay on top of your tasks and research.